Tuesday, May 5, 2009

SHANE MCCONKEY - MR. INCREDIBLE

It's been a month since the death of Shane McConkey and in that time I've thought about him more than in the previous 19 years combined. What? Yes, 1990 was 19 years ago.

Shane was a friend of a friend as they say, Mike Jaquet was the friend. Mike and Shane were cut from the same cloth, 2 of the craziest guys that I knew. We hung out a little in Boulder after they were both kicked off the ski team. Or did they quit? I can't remember. It doesn't matter.

What I do remember is that nudity in public got them both in trouble on more than one occasion. Jaquet was on the Nordic team and Shane was on the Alpine. I was coach of the Nordic Devo team and worked with Mike quite a bit. He excelled at skiing but couldn't quite focus enough to make the Varsity. One day Jaquet started taking roller skiing to the next level and his nude training in the quaint subdivisions north of Boulder got our squad banned forever. He must have learned that stunt from McConkey. I remember Mike introducing me to Shane at their place and Shane had an air about him that said, "Nice to meet you man, now we're buddies for life". Incredibly refreshing and uplifting, little did I know that Shane would turn out to be Mr. Incredible on skis. I never saw him again after the Boulder days but I followed his exploits from afar. I didn't know him well but I knew if we ran in the same circles we would have been great friends.

When I heard of his death it hit like a bolt of lightning. Believable but unbelievable. Damnitall! Since then I have learned more of his amazing ski career, his product developments, the founding of the International Free Skiers Association, SaucerBoy, and of course the jaw-dropping stunts.

Rest In Peace Shane, I'm honored to have known you.

For those that don't know Shane, google - Shane McConkey tribute - and enjoy. Also check out his many films, it's absolutely mind boggling how far he took it.

No comments: